Wednesday, September 3, 2008

My apologies to Tampa Bay.

In the latest edition of ESPN The Magazine, Mike Greeny (of Mike and Mike) states that a year ago he thought the Rays should be contracted. I have felt this way as well. Maybe I have been too hard on the Rays. I have an open mind and I am willing to see other points of view. In this case, the other point of view might actually be my own. The Rays have become a relevant ballclub in the course of one season (I place the credit with Maddon's glasses). This Rays team could be an integral part of season that leaves both Boston and New York out of the playoffs (I would love to see that). I may even find myself rooting for these Rays.

If we want to talk contraction, I have one team in mind that shouldn't be a surprise. Washington. As the Expos, they were on the chopping block. As the Nationals, they are equally as crappy and should be in danger if MLB decides to move forward with contraction. I'm not sure which other team I could contract if it were my decision. I'm looking at the Marlins. Runningman, any thoughts on contraction?

Moral of the story: I'm sorry Tampa Bay. I will be really sorry if the Rays are the main reason that the Red Sox and Yankees miss the playoffs.

No comments: