Wednesday, September 3, 2008

Replay away!

A-Rod's 549th HR went under the MLB microscope tonight at Tropicana Field. I'm not feeding any conspiracy theory and I'm not suggesting anything by making this statement, but what are the odds that the first reviewed home run would involve the Yankees? (I know, the odds are 1 in 30.)

On a side tangent, I hate the way that the media decides that everyone in the nation wants to see either a Yankees or Red Sox game (I'm looking at you ESPN). If you live on the east coast, I'm happy for you. You get to see a lot of relevant games. If you are anywhere west of Pennsylvania, I feel for you. I'm sure your baseball interests lie outside of the AL East, but good luck seeing any games outside the AL East on national media.

Back to the matter at hand. The announcers on YES said that the replay review took roughly 2 minutes. This is just about the target time set by MLB. I think their ideal time would be 1:30, but close enough. Anyhow, good job to you MLB. You certainly delivered on your promise of the instant replay...let's just hope this doesn't turn into another point of drama along the way. (I'm waiting for the first blown call to be upheld when the replay is inconclusive...or worse, when the replay shows otherwise...)

No comments: