Saturday, August 2, 2008

Whoa. You can't do that.

ESPN, "The Worldwide Leader In Sports," has this quote from Rich Harden after the Cubs finished off a four game sweep of the Brewers:

"I felt as strong as I've been," Harden said.

Harden said this, but this was completely taken out of context. Not only taken out of context, but they are missing an important part of the quote:

"I don't think I felt as strong as I've been," Harden said. "I was a little inconsistent with some of my offspeed pitches today, but I was able to get through it. There were some great defensive plays made today, and that helped me get out of some jams."

I'm not worried about the second part of the quote starting with "I was a little inconsistent..." What bothers me is the very beginning of the quote. Harden is saying that he isn't as strong as he has been. ESPN totally missed the point of what he was saying.

Two possibilities here. ESPN knowingly omitted part of the quote. I can't think of any other reason than to make this a more sensational story. Omitting the first part of the quote doesn't make this a more sensational story, so I am going to say that's not the reason. The other possibility is lackidasical reporting. This is probably the reason. But I ask you which is worse, being dishonest or being incompetent?

No comments: