Sunday, April 13, 2008

Taguchi to the rescue?

Imagine my excitement earlier today during the bottom of the ninth of the Phils-Cubs game. Pat Burrell was lifted in the 8th for a pinch runner after a lead off walk. That pinch runner was none other than our good friend, So Taguchi. During that inning, So was gunned down at second by Kerry Wood during a sac bunt attempt. That's not what got me so excited (although it was enough to warrant a frosty cold one). My excitement was the result of an adrenaline fueled 9th. The Cubs took a one run lead in the top of the frame and sent Howry out to save the game. After two quick outs, Chase Utley smacked a shot to right field that bounced high off the wall. Utley pulled into 2nd with a two out double. Of course, the Cubs intentionally walked Howard with 1st base open. This brought up Pat Burrell's spot...the spot that was taken over by No. 99 himself in the 8th. I was giddy...so giddy in fact, that I had to call Runningman to see if he was watching. He was not, so I got ready to give him the play-by-play. In the time it took me to get my announcer's voice ready, the play was over. One pitch on the outside part of the plate was slapped to the right side of the infield. Howry got the 4-3 to end the game. It was the expected result, but I was disappointed. I was hoping for more of a swunt. So made solid contact...even I could have fielded it with no problems, but it was solid contact nonetheless. Good job, little buddy.

No comments: